Friday night again and it’s time to think about good, wholesome cheap student nosh that won’t break the bank and with the sunshine out in force we thought we’d rustle up a couple of summer specials!
TUNA PASTA BAKE
- 300g pasta
- 25g marg or butter
- 25g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 125g strong cheddar , grated
- 1 can tuna drained
- 1/2 can sweetcorn drained
1. Boil the pasta in a pan of boiling water for the length of time that your particular choice of pasta needs.
2. In a separate pan, while the pasta is cooking, melt the marg. Stir in the flour and then slowly add the milk a bit at the time stirring all the time to make a smooth sauce. It it gets lumpy beat with an electric beater. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Season as you wish with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in tuna, sweetcorn and drained cooked pasta into the cheese sauce.
4. Pour mixture into a baking tin and bake for 15 minutes in a hot oven at 180˚ C.
Serve warm with salad.
If you like eggs as a student, this is a win:win meal! Cheap and Quick!
- 250g new potatoes cut into thick slices (with or without skins)
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 eggs
Par boil potatoes and onions together until softened.
Beat eggs in a bowl and add the softened, drained potatoes and onions and parsley
Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the egg mixture.
Cook over a moderate heat, using a spatula to draw in the mixture. When it’s almost set, turn to cook the other side. Repeat as necessary until fully cooked.
Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves up to 2 people.
Again serve with some salad or maybe just some chopped tomatoes.